Pages

All about box camera photography with a special emphasis on Ensign Ful-Vue cameras.

Tuesday 19 March 2019

Fulvueflex Instructions

I was scanning Ebay recently, as I do from time to time in case there is any Ful-Vue memorabilia or accessories for sale at a sensible price. Happily, I stumbled across someone who was selling a Fulvueflex with its original box and instructions. Sadly, at the price they were asking I couldn't justify buying it just to get my hands on the box and instructions, but the photos did let me have a glance at what the instructions had to say, which was interesting. Here was what I managed to make out:


You will notice the robust construction of this model in a new material, high impact polystyrene which will not deteriorate with age and is virtually unbreakable.
A full set of accessories is available for those who wish to make the fullest use of their Fulvueflex. These include an Ever-ready carrying case, a capacitor flash unit, sky filter, close up lens and an eye-level frame viewfinder.
The Fulvueflex takes 12 2¼” square (6 x 6 cm.) pictures on 120 size film.
The all-distance Astaross lens is adjusted to give excellent results from as close as 6 feet to distant views.

Other guidelines refer to the accessories available for the camera.

Lens Hood: Rememberthe general rule of taking a picture with the sun to one side of you; but if you do have to 'shoot' into the sun the Fulvueflex Lens Hood will help to obtain a satisfactory picture.
Colour Filter: By contrasting the cloud against the blue sky the colour filter adds the final touch to your countryside and seaside views.
 Close-Up Lens: Endeavour to keep the subject matter lower down in the viewfinder so as to avoid cutting off. This lens allows you to be as close to your subject as 3 ft.
Ever-Ready Camera Case: Apart from offering protection it is also a convenient method of carrying your model. The adjustable neck strap allows comfort in use and assists the steadiness of the instrument during exposure.
On the move.
 The shutter of your Fulvueflex camera opens for a very short period, 1/40th second. This is quite fast enough to 'stop' any slow-moving subject, provided the movement is toward or away from the camera. A clip-on eye-level viewfinder is available as an extra accessoryand is recommended for use under these conditions, at sports meetings, etc.

 So, there was an eye-level frame viewfinder! You learn something new every day. It also focuses as close as 6 feet, which I didn't know before. It can't get as close as the other models then (naturally as the others had pull-out/screw mounts to allow close-ups at 3 feet, whereas the Fulvueflex needed a close-up lens). I don't know if I have a Fulvueflex lens hood, but I do have a lens hood that fits the camera. I shall take their advice when shooting into the sun. I also didn't realise this camera has a faster shutter speed than the earlier models. 1/40 as opposed to 1/30.

I can't see me stumbling across an eye-level frame viewfinder for a Fulvueflex on eBay anytime soon, but one can hope. At least I found a picture of one.



No comments:

Post a Comment